How to Pack Books for Moving
The ripped pages, bent spines, dog-eared corners, or water damage can be the real nightmare for every book lover. That is why they are taking moving and packing their precious possessions very seriously, which requires time to be done properly because some readers can have thousands of books in their valuable collection. To prevent unnecessary headaches, here are some tips on how to pack books for moving.
Sort out your books
When you are an avid reader, separating books can be very difficult because every book has its unique value. However, do not forget that moving companies are charging based on the weight of your possessions, which means that carrying an entire literary collection can be very expensive for you. The next question that comes across is: “what to do with a book you are not taking with you?” Well, few options can help you with it.
- Donate your books: this is one of the options that you can consider. Check with the public library – they will be more than happy to get this kind of gift.
- Sell your books: in the past, people were organizing a yard sale, but now the internet is a more popular option. The best sites for selling online are BookScouter, Amazon, Half price books, etc.
Prepare boxes and supplies for packing
Choosing the right size of boxes is very important in this process. The best choice will be the medium or small-size cardboard boxes because if you are using bigger sizes, they will be too heavy to move. Carrying 3 to 5 books is not too scary, but imagine that you need to move boxes with 30-40 books inside. That can be really heavy to carry around. The only way is to use smaller cardboard boxes and divide the weight. Ask around where you can find free moving boxes Brooklyn.
Pack books for moving by size
Group your books by similar size before placing them in the box. When they are nicely placed and organized, you will have more space and clarity when unpacking them. When you’re packing hardcover books or books with high value, always protect them with bubble wrap before placing them inside the box.
How to pack books properly?
Depending on which material is on the cover of books and their actual value, you will choose what sort of supplies is needed and which technique to use for packing. For example, the best method for paperback books is to place them in flat piles or sets so that the paper edges facing upwards. Otherwise, if you pack them with the paper edges facing down, pages will start to bend. When you are packing hardcover books or books with high value, you will need a delicate approach. The best solution will be to place books in an upright position with a piece of paper among them, or you can wrap each book with bubble plastic before placing it inside the box and avoiding damage to their covers. In case you have high-value items, do not forget to insure them before you move.
Before closing the box, if there is any remaining space, add some crumpled paper, because, during transportation, books can shift easily and cause damage.
Label your boxes
The next step after you close the cardboard box is labeling moving boxes. Write what kind of content is in the box. For instance: “Books, This End Up.” In that way, there will be less trouble when you get to the new home and begin unpacking. Also, secure a cardboard box with double layers of tape. Like this, you are preventing breaking of the cardboard box in case it’s super heavy. Besides, in some situations, you can use a suitcase to transfer your books. One more advantage of using a suitcase is that it has wheels, so carrying heavy books will be much easier.
Pack your books inside the truck
When it comes to packing your belongings inside the truck, the golden rule is to place heavy boxes on the bottom of your moving truck or another vehicle. The books are heavy items, and during transfer, if they are not secured properly, they can roll over and create damage to other belongings. Therefore, it is very important to keep them on the floor of the truck.
If you need to use storage
When you need some free space for a short or long time, renting storage is a good option, but when you are leaving books there, then you should consider some things as:
- Duration of the storage period: This is a very important factor because if they are exposed to an environment like humidity and pests for a long time, they get ruined, so maybe you should choose climate-controlled storage.
- Check the potential risk for rodent issues: this can be one of the main problems when the storage is in the basement. Rats have ever-growing incisors, and to control their length, they need to chew on something. For that reason, choose some hard and safer material where you can store your books.
- Never store boxes directly on the floor: this can create huge damage to your possessions, especially your books. To prevent water intrusions keep the cardboard boxes out of the ground because they can catch condensation when left on the floor. However, when everything is protected correctly, your belongings can stay in storage for an extended period.
If you have any antique books in your possession
Packing antique books can be a little tricky because they can be old or rare editions. It is necessary to take security measures to protect from damage. Otherwise, they will lose value. Here are some steps that you should follow to avoid the potential risk of ruining them:
- Clean your hands before touching any antique books.
- Use gloves to avoid leaving fingerprints on the covers.
- Keep food and drinks away from the antique editions during the packing.
- Leave small gaps for air circulation to prevent condensation.
- The darker containers are better options because exposure to the light can damage them.
- Consider hiring antique movers.
In case you have any doubts or need help with packing, our moving company Dorothy and Martha, with their professional staff, is here for you.