How to find a roommate in Brooklyn?
Living in New York City is great. It is even better than that. It will be a life-changing experience that you will remember for the rest of your life. And no, it doesn’t even matter if you are born in NYC, or if you moved there for college, to find work or for fun. Being a resident of this great city is something many people are only dreaming of. And now it is about to become your reality. However, living in NYC isn’t cheap. It is going to affect your monthly budget in more ways than you can possibly imagine. And that is precisely why many New Yorkers choose Brooklyn over other neighborhoods when looking for accommodation. Another smart thing you can do in order to save money is to try to find a roommate in Brooklyn. So, let’s dive in!
Why do you need to find a roommate in Brooklyn?
There are many benefits to living alone. You’d get more privacy, avoid possible problems and conflicts that can easily arise when living with someone in a small space. And yes – living in NYC, including Brooklyn, almost always means living in a small apartment. Who is going to take care of groceries, pay the bills, how to share errands and how to live in a manner that will be enjoyable for both participants are the questions you’d never have to ask yourself when living alone.
On the other hand, there are many pros of sharing your apartment with someone else. Here are some of them:
- Once you find a roommate in Brooklyn your life will become much easier. Having someone with whom you can share chores and other errands is something that will help you survive NYC’s tempo. This can become even handier if you and your roommate have different schedules. Your roommate can feed your dog while you are at work, and you can notify your roommate about any important mail when she or he goes out of town.
- You will not be lonely. Yes. New York City sounds like a lot of fun. However, living alone in a city such as NYC can be overwhelming. People are almost always rushing somewhere, and if you don’t already have some friends here, you will find yourself quite lonely once you move. Having a roommate will help you find new friends, discover some new places and integrate yourself into NYC’s lifestyle.
- It will be much easier to save money. Rent and monthly bills are just the start of it. Everything that is shared will be much cheaper. Starting with food, cleaning supplies, utilities,… If you can share it – it will come at a lower price. And especially if your roommate is also looking to save some money.
How to find a trustworthy roommate?
There are many things you can do in order to find a roommate in Brooklyn, however – finding a trustworthy one won’t be that simple. You are looking for a person you can rely on, and even more importantly – a person you can share your personal space with. Here are some of the ideas that can come in handy when looking for a roommate:
- Ask your friends, family members, coworkers or fellow students if they are looking for a roommate.
- Look for roommates online.
- Look for roommates in newspapers.
Getting references is always a good way to go
The best option you can choose is living with a person you already know. So, if a friend or a family member of yours is looking for a roommate – give them a call! This really is the safest way to go. The second best thing you can do is to ask for some references. The chances are – someone you know knows somebody who is looking to find a roommate at the same time. And you know what they say – it is always better to be safe than sorry.
Finding a roommate online or in newspapers
Yes. If you exhaust all your options and have nowhere else to go you can always look for roommates online or in your local newspapers. One thing is for sure – you will find a person to share your apartment in Brooklyn. On the other hand, there are still some things that you’ll have to do.
- Write a post on facebook, twitter or any other social network that you might be using.
- Also, there are always websites for finding roommates. Think about your options before making your final call.
- Reach out to people and start making some calls.
- Stay open-minded and be honest and upfront about everything.
Be a good roommate
This one is of crucial importance. You need to know what you are looking for and set some rules for yourself before you start looking for a person to live with. You can find a roommate in Brooklyn, but you also need to learn how to keep one. Living together might sound fun, however, it requires some effort. Also, remember that some compromises need to be made. Don’t be too judgemental when interviewing your potential roommates. Remember – you are looking for a person you can trust and rely on, not an accountant. This is not a job interview, so keep it friendly and stay open-minded.
How to start over in Brooklyn?
If you aren’t already living in Brooklyn or looking for a roommate to join you in your current apartment – you will have to move. And no, it doesn’t have to be so stressful. Moving is simple nowadays. All you need to do is to find the right kind of moving assistance. There are so, so many moving companies on our market, and finding the right Brooklyn mover for the job won’t be as hard as it seems.
Relocating to Brooklyn in no time
If you are planning on moving to Brooklyn on short notice, and in a manner that is safe and stress-free, hiring a moving company to handle everything for you might be the right thing to do. And even if it sounds expensive – it doesn’t have to be. Especially once you take moving problems and mistakes into the consideration. Moving problems and mistakes can also cost you a lot of time and energy. That is why staying organized and leaving all that hard work to professionals is the best thing you can do. Find a roommate in Brooklyn, move to your new apartment and start this adventure of yours in no time!